New Media Ventures (NMV) is a mission-driven venture fund and investor network focused on innovation to advance progressive change. Our mission is to find, support, and finance organizations that are telling new stories, building advocacy movements, and catalyzing civic engagement. Over the past 7 years, we have supported 60 promising startups, many of which are now widely recognized pillars of the social change community, from Upworthy and Blavity to SumOfUs, Ultraviolet and Vote.org. Our recent Resist & Rebuild Open Call received 500 applications, and we are thrilled to be investing millions in new startups working to protect our democracy and advance social justice. We do all this with a tiny staff and nimble organization and we are seeking a Fundraising & Communications Associate to help us take our impact to the next level.
Are you highly organized, detail-oriented, proactive, and passionate about social change? Help us make sure we never miss a deadline or opportunity, are prepared for every fundraising meeting, and do a great job of sharing our story with the world! We are especially interested in democratizing access to capital and encourage people who are under-represented in the investment and startup communities to apply.
- Support our fundraising efforts by helping us stay organized and put our best foot forward: manage our grants calendar, process incoming gifts, draft donor communication (including reports and proposals), maintain database, and prep leadership team for funder meetings
- Improve our communications: maintain the editorial calendar, manage social media, update collateral, and send out newsletters
- Help us plan and execute fantastic events, including our annual Summit, donor-hosted dinners, and funder briefings
- Pitch-in as needed to keep the office running smoothly
- You are proactive, eager to take ownership, and quick to incorporate feedback
- You have remarkable organizational skills and attention to detail: you love to create order out of chaos, never miss a deadline, get a thrill from a well-organized spreadsheet, and have an eagle eye for typos
- Strong communication skills: you can represent NMV effectively and tell our story to a variety of external audiences, including funders and investors
- Team player: you are happy to schedule meetings or run errands if that’s what needed in a busy moment when everyone is juggling many tasks
- Strong values: you build relationships with empathy, integrity, humor and respect; you are committed to advancing social and environmental justice
Candidate Pluses (note: we don’t expect any candidate to match more than 1 or 2 in the list below)
- Experience with grant-writing and/or external communications
- Eye for design and experience crafting messages
- Experience with Salesforce and/or MailChimp
- We operate at the intersection of social justice, digital organizing, new media, technology and impact investing. Experience in any of these domains a plus.
What to expect from us:
- Salary range: $55,000 – $65,000
- Full benefits, including 401k match and health
- A team with a sense of justice and a sense of humor
- A low-ego, high-performance culture and flexible work environment
Want to learn more? We hosted a webinar about position on Friday 2/2. Missed it? Feel free to reach out firstname.lastname@example.org for the recording. We also recommend checking out the following information about our work.
Ready to apply? There are 2 simple steps:
- In lieu of a cover letter, please fill out this form with your answers to the following questions (150 words max per question)
- Why are you interested in this position and why do you think you’re a good fit?
- Share a relevant professional or personal experience that makes you proud & tell us why
- What are your favorite systems and tools for staying organized and managing competing priorities?
- Email your resume to email@example.com with “Fundraising Associate” in the subject line
The position is based in Oakland starting as soon as possible. We will review applications on a rolling basis.